If you decide to lose weight and are looking for a seasonal diet option, losing weight on vegetables may be the best choice. This diet is suitable for both vegetarians and those who just want to cleanse the body and put their forms in order
In recent years, plant-based diets have become widely popular, because, according to a number of studies, today vegans and vegetarians make up 18% of the world’s population. As of 2017, the results of KIIS opinion polls showed that the total number of vegetarians in Ukraine was 5.2% of the country’s population (almost 2 million).
In addition to the ethical and environmental benefits of avoiding meat in the diet, a well-planned vegetable diet can not only contribute to rapid weight loss, but also help reduce the risk of chronic diseases, maintain overall health, and improve the quality of life in General. In this article, you will learn whether you can lose weight on vegetables, where to start, and get an approximate meal plan for one week. But let’s talk about everything in order.
The essence of the vegetable diet
The vegetarian diet, which is also a diet based on vegetables, as you have already understood, involves abstaining from eating fish and meat, including poultry. People often prefer a vegetable diet for religious or personal reasons, as well as for ethical reasons such as animal rights.
Those who adhere to a strict vegan diet, as a rule, do not eat meat, fish and poultry, and build their diet exclusively on plant products (in very rare cases, allow honey). Other options involve a more flexible diet, sometimes allowing the use of eggs, milk, and other animal products.
Types of plant-based diet
There are several forms of vegetarianism, each of which has its own restrictions in the diet. The most common types:
- Lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet: meat and fish are not allowed, but eggs and dairy products are allowed.
- Lacto-vegetarian diet: poultry, pork and other meat, as well as fish and eggs are not allowed, but dairy products are allowed.
- Ovo-vegetarian diet: meat, fish and dairy products are not allowed, but eggs are allowed.
- Pescetarian diet: meat is not allowed, but fish is allowed, sometimes eggs and dairy products.
- Vegetarian diet: excludes meat, fish, poultry, eggs and dairy products, as well as other animal products such as honey.
- Flexitarian (flexible) diet: involves a mostly vegetarian diet, but sometimes allows the use of fish or poultry.
As for the purely vegetable diet, there are three main types:
1- On the soups. Duration no more than 30 days. The frequency and volume of soups are not regulated. Frying vegetables is excluded. It is allowed to use bread, sour cream and vegetable oil. It is important to keep a balance: vegetable soups-90%, other products-10%.
2- Protein-vegetable. Duration no more than 30 days. Cereals, sweets, potatoes, and flour products are completely excluded. Allowed low-fat fish (Pollock, cod, pike perch, hake, Saida), boiled beef, seeds, walnuts, kefir 1%, seasonal fresh fruit.
3- Fruit and vegetable. Duration no more than 8 days. The essence of the alternation: two ” fruit “days, two “vegetable” days. Bananas, grapes, kiwi, mangoes, potatoes, and green peas are excluded from vegetables and fruits.